Monday, February 8, 2010

Mary's Oreo Truffles

Let me be clear, I did not come up with this recipe. And there's really technically no baking involved. But that doesn't make them any less than awesome.



I've made Mary's Oreo Truffles three times, and each time people have told me it's like putting sex something really tasty in their mouth. And they're super easy to make!

Mary's Oreo Trufles
1 package Oreos
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 tsp of vanilla
1 package of chocolate almond bark
optional: vanilla almond bark
necessary kitchen contraption: food processor

Despite living in New York, I've never been able to find almond bark (am I not looking in the right stores? who knows.) but I've made this successfully with milk chocolate chips, and as you'll see below, peanut butter chips and it's come out quite tasty each time.

First, let's start with the basics.



Since there will be no beaters involved with this experiment, we have to test the product to make sure they're good.



Now that we've verified the goods, we go on to my favorite thing, pulverizing the Oreos. Ignore that faint burning smell from your food processor.



Close up view.



Now that we've got that set, add the cream cheese and vanilla and pulse again until the mixture looks like a creamy, delicious end product you'd like to take a spoon to.





Close up -- remember, when you start taking the mixture out to make the truffles, there are really sharp blades in there and if you aren't careful, you'll cut your finger (not that this happened to me, no, not at all).

Take about a spoonful and roll into small balls and place them on a cookie sheet with wax paper down. As Mary said, your hands will get messy, just get used to it.

Close up.



Once these are done, using a double boiler, put each Oreo ball into the melted chocolate in the top of the double boiler (or, in this case, peanut butter because I was out of chocolate -- you should check these things before you start the process) and use two forks to roll them around until completely covered. Then move back to the cookie sheet.



Put them in the fridge until just about ready to serve and, voila, here you go.



I've added white icing to the top before, but, like the chocolate, I didn't have any. It really does make them prettier but doesn't change the rate at which people just gobble them up.

And, if you're of age, I always suggest baking with one of these:

No comments:

Post a Comment