Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cinnaspin Cookies

A couple of days ago, I scoffed to friends that anyone who made something out of a mix was cheating, let alone ineligible to win an award. After trying tonight's cookies, I've amended that to say that anyone who could make this recipe is by far a better baker than I.

According to the Betty Crocker website (recipe: at the official Betty Crocker site »), this 2008 award-winning recipe should have been a snap to make.

So, let's see what we have here.

Ingredients:
Cookies
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Step 1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, mix cookie mix and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in butter and egg until soft dough forms.

Ok, this should be the easy part, right?



Ok, we've got the mix and the cinnamon in there. I was making a double batch, so I put two packs and twice the cinnamon in there.




Wisk it together and everything's looking good so far.



In order to make things easier, I measure out five inches and mark it off on the wax paper.



Roll out my cinnamon and a little flour to make rolling it easier.





I use my scoop that J-dog got me to get the perfect amount of mix and ... nothing. I can't get the dough out of the scoop, I can't use my hands to pick it out of the bowl and even when I do get it out, it just mushes in my hand; there's no rolling of the dough at all.

So I added another quarter cup of flour hoping to dry it out a little. This is what I got:



Looks good, right? No luck. It was impossible to even scoop it out for basic cookies, let alone following the recipe as instructed.

I probably could have put it in the fridge and maybe it would have solidified a little, but I didn't think about that until I had thrown it out.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

3 comments:

  1. What it looks like is that there's too much liquid in the bowl, from somewhere. Sugar cookie dough is fussy anyway (you always have to chill it before working with it) which may not be helpful now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm. That's a good thought -- thinking back on it I should have chilled it (or at least tried to make brownies/cookie bars out of it) instead of just throwing it away.

    I bought more mix, so I'll definitely try this again at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I get to the store, I'll grab the ingredients and try it here. The vultures at work will eat 'em.

    ReplyDelete